* STAR CITY HOTEL -RECREATION AREAS
Provide indoor swimming pool and whirl
pool as a minimum, unless Facilities Program dictates
• Contiguous indoor/outdoor swimming pools may
be considered in seasonal locations.
• Larger facilities may require separate pools,
especially where the outdoor pool is the center of
a resort environment.
Pool Designs: Mechanical
and structural engineers or a qualified swimming pool
design / build contractor develops the swimming pool
mechanical operation and structural design.
• Standards: Comply with governing mechanical,
structural and sanitation codes and design pools for
local conditions such as climate and soils.
• Accessibility: Design pools for use by guests
with disability. Provide a transfer lift at each pool.
• Safety: Safety is of prime importance in design
of pools and associated areas.
• Signage: Provide regulatory / safety and “No
• Pool Entry: Primary access point for guest
arrival at pool typically toward shallow end of pool.
• Structure: Concrete structure with pool plaster
• Configure primary swimming pool to facilitate
simultaneous usage by lap swimmers and recreational
+ Water Surface Area: 140 m2 (1,500 sq. ft.) minimum.
+ Minimum Pool Depth: 1.0 m (3'-4")
+ Maximum Pool Depth: 1.5 m (5 ft.)
+ Maximum Slope of Pool Bottom: 1 to 10
• Diving is prohibited.
• Minimum Pool Depth Area: Approximately 15
to 20 percent of the total pool area.
• Shallow Area: Set visually apart from remaining
pool by means of removable floating lifeline or contrasting
tiles from pool edges and extend across bottom.
• Pool Perimeters: Fully accessible for general
maintenance and life saving / rescue purposes.
• Access: Include stair access with handrails
at shallow end of pool with additional stairs or ladders
every 23 m (75 ft.) around pool perimeter. Include
railings on both sides of stairs.
• Steps: Make level changes obvious by providing
5 cm (2 inch) slip resistant edge, contrasting in
color on vertical and horizontal nose of each pool
step and bench or other means.
• Skimmer: Skim gutter and skimmer details are
provided by the pool designer
• Skimmer Cover: Use skimmers for surface return
water as opposed to a continuous scum gutter at the
pool perimeter, except as required by code. Conceal
skimmer lids with a pool deck paving cover designed
to blend with the pool deck design.• Coping:
Provide a coping band at the pool edge consistent
with the project paving and hardscape materials pool
coping compatible with the finish texture and material
used for the slip resistant, pool deck paving.
• Acoustics (Interior Pool): Pool enclosure
Reverberation Time (RT) 60 Max = 4 seconds.
• Deck Drains: Include continuous perimeter
flush deck drains at inside edge of pool coping.
• Floor: Select floor tile with minimum coefficient
of friction factor of 0.6 wet/dry.
• Accessories: Slides, swimming tunnels and
bridges are prohibited unless reviewed
• Lighting: Provide underwater lights at 3 m
(10 ft.) intervals. Provide lights with residual current,
circuit protected and on emergency circuiting
|Indoor Pool: Heated: Maintain
29o C (84o F).
• Indoor lap pools are typically
6 x 12 m (20 x 40 ft.), 1.2 m (4 ft.) deep with an adjacent
• A whirl pool may adjoin this
pool. When a whirl pool does not adjoin the pool, consider
a design that places the whirl pool above the pool deck
to permit seating around the edge or more closely at
eye level of surrounding seating.
Whirl Pool: Heated whirl
pool is 3 m (10 ft) diameter minimum.
• Location: Typically, locate in close proximity
to deep end of Swimming Pool. Contain within restricted
adult only areas.
• Equipment: Locate whirl pool mechanical equipment
in a designated, programmed room unless otherwise
approved by the Owner and Marriott.
• Pool Heating: Include heating equipment to
maintain 40o C (104o F.) water temperature with an
in-line thermometer graded in 2-degree intervals installed
in the Filter Room between the liner and heater.
• Slip Resistance Factor: 0.6 dry/wet for decks,
copings, benches, and pool floors.
• Pumps: Provide multiple pumps, or pumps with
two speed motors, with a low range, for normal recirculation
to maintain pool temperature and filtration, and a
high range for increased water jet action during whirl
• Drains: Include 2-drain inlets to drain (suction)
line with securable grate to avoid suction trapping.
• Provide chrome plated, non-corrosive metal
or bronze plumbing fittings and nozzles if exposed
to guest view.
• Air Injector: Installed for jet action during
whirl pool use.
• Timer Control Switch: Provide a guest accessible
15 minute timer control switch to activate the whirl
pool’s pumps and air injector. Locate the control
out of reach of bathers in the whirl pool and within
reach limits of governing accessibility codes. •
Emergency Stop Control: Provide an emergency stop
button to deactivate the whirl pool jet circulation,
pumps and air injector. Locate adjacent to timer control.
• Signs: Include regulatory and safety signage.
to pools main page