1. Have one named person responsible for legionella control.
2. Ensure the named person is trained in control of legionella and other
staff are trained to be aware of the importance of their role in controlling
3. Keep hot water hot and circulating at all times: 50 oC - 60oC (too
hot to put hands into for more than a few seconds)
4. Keep cold water cold at all times. It should be maintained at temperatures
5. Run all taps and showers in guest rooms for several minutes at least
once a week if they are unoccupied and always prior to occupation.
6. Keep shower heads and taps clean and free from scale
7. Clean and disinfect cooling towers and associated pipes used in air
conditioning systems regularly - at least twice a year
8. Clean and disinfect water heaters (calorifiers) once a year
9. Disinfect the hot water system with high level (50mg/l) chlorine for
2-4 hours after work on water heaters and before the beginning of every
10. Clean and disinfect all water filters regularly - every one to three
11. Inspect water storage tanks, cooling towers and visible pipe work
monthly. Ensure that all coverings are intact and firmly in place
12. Inspect the inside of cold water tanks at least once a year and disinfect
with 50mg/l chlorine and clean if containing a deposit or otherwise dirty
13. Ensure that system modifications or new installations do not create
pipework with intermittent or no water flow
14. If there is a spa pool (also known as whirlpool spas, "Jacuzzis",
spa baths) ensure that:
It is continuously treated with 2-3mg/l chlorine or bromine and the levels
are monitored at least three times a day
At least half of the water is replaced each day
Sand filters are backwashed daily
The whole system is cleaned and disinfected once a week
Daily records of all water treatment readings such as temperature and
chlorine concentrations are kept and ensure they are checked regularly
by the manager.
15.Inspect and thoroughly clean cooling towers and evaporative
condensers at least once a year.Add a disinfectant, such as chlorine,
into cooling towers and other water reservoirs.
16.Remove any algae and accumulated scale from air and water
17.Air filters should be examined, cleaned and/or replaced
periodically and tested for leaks.
18.Fresh air intakes should not be built close to cooling
towers since contaminated aerosols may enter the ventilation system.Cooling
towers should be positioned so the drift or evaporate does not enter the
fresh air intake.