Evacuates W Hotel Guests
POSTED: 4:05 pm CST February 25, 2007
DALLAS -- A fire at the newly built W Hotel forced
more than 100 guests to evacuate their rooms Sunday,
NBC 5 reported.
A large dumpster caught fire at about 9:23 a.m. Sunday
inside the garage of the hotel on Victory Avenue and
Lamar Street in downtown Dallas, fire officials said.
The flames sent smoke rising several stories into
the building, startling guests and forcing them to
gather across the street at the American Airlines
Center. Some walked out with nothing, others carried
just about everything.
"They started knocking on doors, saying it’s
the real deal," Willard Jackson said. Willard
and Kim Jackson said they were already packed.
"We looked outside and saw the fire engines
and we said ‘we better get out of here,’"
Kim Jackson said.
"We were up on the 14th and it was difficult
to see, " Sue Johnson said. "We just saw
a lot of smoke."
Sue Johnson and Camille Gore evacuated only with
what they were wearing -- new fur coats.
"We've been shopping," Gore said laughing.
"We saved the coats."
Across the street, the hotel’s staff passed
out robes to many other guests that were unprepared
for the cold weather.
One man complained of chest pains and had to be carried
out by a stretcher, but there were no other injuries
The fire was extinguished within an hour, NBC 5 reported.
Copyright 2007 by nbc5i.com. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten