fire disrupts visitors at Quality Inn
Sat, Apr. 29, 2006
GEORGETOWN - Shirley Mack's and husband Henry Mack's
plans to spend several relaxing days on vacation in
Georgetown were disrupted Friday when a fire broke
out at their hotel.
The Mount Pleasant couple stayed a night at Quality
Inn on Church Street, but early Friday they watched
Georgetown and Midway firefighters extinguish the
blaze as they made plans to move to another hotel.
No one was injured, said Georgetown Fire Chief Joey
"It was like the Fourth of July," Henry
Mack said, describing a sparking power line that fell
near their second-floor room. "I head a 'kaboom'
and the television went out. I knew it was an electrical
fire, so we got out."
The fire was contained to the attic at the rear of
the building. Tanner did not know the exact cause
of the blaze.
Charred power lines were visible.
The Quality Inn is expected to remain closed for
at least a week, a hotel employee said.
Meanwhile, city building officials checked the hotel
to ensure there were no code violations. The hotel
had just reopened under new ownership, said Georgetown
building official Jason Goude.
The renovated hotel is not required to have a sprinkler
system, but it has smoke detectors, Goude said.
Guests at the Quality Inn were being relocated Friday.