Hotel cleared while fire's snuffed
Fri, April 14, 2006
Guests at the Fairfield Inn, 4514 West Lake Ave.,
Glenview, were evacuated from their rooms around 1
a.m. Tuesday after Glenview firefighters and police
responded to a fire alarm.
The fire was located in an unoccupied room on the
third floor, where authorities said painters had left
on a 500 watt halogen lamp. The lamp touched a plastic
tarp, causing it to melt and catch fire. The blaze
set off the sprinklers and the fire alarm.
Guests were allowed back into the hotel around 2:30
Several rooms on the floors below the fire were damaged
by water. About 15 guests in those rooms and others
that were smoky were relocated to other area hotels.