Cricket teams evacuated
Wednesday, 07 Mar 2007 15:35
Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer will not have appreciated
the disruption Printer friendly version
Sponsored Links Four cricket teams staying in a Trinidadian
hotel have had to be evacuated after a gas leak caused
a fire in the building.
Reports from the Caribbean island suggest that the
15-man squads from South Africa, Canada, Ireland and
Pakistan were all alerted to the incident and asked
to leave the property at about GMT 12:00 (08:00 local
Security staff at the Hilton hotel were sent round
to knock on doors and ensure that all the residents
in the hotel were safe.
The South Africans, Irish and Canadians were all
taken away from the site as soon as everyone was accounted
for, although the Pakistan team opted to remain in
Early reports suggest that three members of the hotel's
staff were taken to hospital although there was no
indication that any of the cricket players or other
guests were injured.
"I have no idea what happened," commented
Pakistani all-rounder Shahid Afridi.
"I had just woken up when the security man knocked
on the door and said 'get out of the room', but I
went back to sleep.
"Then he knocked again and said 'get out of
the room', so I did and went downstairs."
Afridi and team-mate Mohammad Sami confirmed reports
that a fire had broken out on the eighth floor of
the hotel. Sami also noted that there was smoke in
the corridor as he was ushered out of the building
from his room on the sixth floor.