Cow Palace Inn
Damaged By Fire
February 23, 2007
Colorado - Five guest rooms at the Cow Palace Inn
were damaged by fire Thursday. The blaze, which started
in a second-floor room on the north end of the 106-room
hotel shortly before 11 a.m., destroyed two rooms
and caused smoke damage to the others. No one was
The fire in the hotel, which is near the Arkansas
River on Main Street, spread quickly, officials said.
Lamar Deputy Fire Chief Marshall Cook said the fire
was traced to an electrical outlet where a bed pushes
up against the wall.
"There was a clock radio plugged into the wall
there -- it looks right now to have been an electrical
short that may have caused the fire," Cook said.
"We had fire that was traveling all along the
covered walkway that is in front of the rooms on the
second floor," Cook said.
Deanna Callahan, manager of the 35-year-old hotel,
said a mattress caught fire where the blaze originated.
Callahan said that it's too soon to estimate damage
"Apparently all the fire upgrading we have done
over the years has helped. We have a lot of fire proofing
in the building that kept the fire from going up on
to the roof and spreading to other parts," Callahan
"It will take awhile to clean up," she
Cook said smoke spread across the entire structure.
"Two rooms were totally destroyed and the other
rooms had varying degrees of damage and some water
damage," Cook said. "The totaled room had
pretty heavy heat damage -- some of the smoke detectors
were melted off the ceiling -- but the rest of the
rooms had mostly smoke damage."
The hotel had been evacuated before firefighters
arrived and was back up and running by Thursday afternoon.