|A Las Vegas business was saved Sunday
night because of an automatic fire sprinkler. Without
the sprinkler, the business would have suffered considerable
Las Vegas fire dispatchers received a call from
Alarmco Alarm Company at 8:53 p.m. on Sunday night
regarding the activation of the automatic fire sprinkler
system at the Ultimate Bedroom furniture store,
located at 5240 West Charleston Boulevard. The business
and unoccupied at the time. A full first-alarm assignment
was dispatched to the alarm. At 9:01 p.m., Las Vegas
fire engine 5 arrived on scene and found smoke inside
Firefighters found some oily rags that were used
earlier in the day for staining furniture that had
caught fire through a process known as spontaneous
combustion. The rag, which was soaked in oil stain,
produced heat and ignited the furniture it was sitting
on. Moments later, the automatic fire sprinkler above
the burning furniture activated and kept the fire
small until firefighters arrived on scene, just seven
There was no damage to the building, only to some
nearby furniture. Estimates were less than $10,000.
Had the fire gone un-noticed, damage could have exceeded
tens of thousands of dollars. Furniture
fires, especially if the fire goes unnoticed.
Because of the automatic fire sprinkler, damage
was kept to a minimum, the area where firefighters
had to work was safer and the
business owner and co-workers are very happy their
business is open today.
There were no injuries in connection with the incident.